As you can imagine, most festive events have been cancelled this year due to Covid-19. However, there are still a few things going ahead, albeit in a slightly different format…
- Hunter Valley Christmas Lights Spectacular, Pokolbin, 5/11-26/1/21. Wind your way through spectacular illuminated Christmas Lights displays, using over 3 million lights! Including Lovers Corner, ‘Hunter’ the giant teddy bear, Giant Castle, Around the World and more. No Christmas is complete without a family photo* with Santa, available every evening at Christmas Lights Spectacular until Christmas Eve.
- Interactive Swinging Balls, Darling Square, 9/11-25/12. Darling Square has three humongous interactive Christmas bells with inbuilt swings for the kids (and big kids). Listen while you swing and you’ll notice the bells sound and light up every time you reach the top!
- Gigantic Christmas Presents, Darling Harbour, 9/11-25/12. Gigantic 6-foot tall Christmas presents are taking over the Harbourside Forecourt, decorated with shimmering silver and fluorescent pink, perfect for a photo moment.
- The Giant Bauble, outside the ICC, 9/11-25/12. Pay a visit to the 6-metre high giant Christmas bauble which is lighting up Darling Harbour. The Giant Bauble in the ICC forecourt is a 6-metre high Christmas decoration, which lights up its surroundings in kaleidoscopic technicolour.
- David Jones Windows, CBD only, 12/11-3/1/21, see their Elizabeth Street store windows come to life in a special family tradition not to be missed.
- Woodstock Artisans Christmas Market, Burwood, 15/11. Set in restored 1871 building the Woodstock Community Centre and its lush parklands, Woodstock provides an oasis of handcrafted treasures and tranquility for the busy Christmas shoppers. The Artisans Market showcases designers and makers of unique, quality handmade homewares, fashion, art, ceramics, jewellery, curios, specialty produce and much more. Shoppers can fossick for those special, one-of-a-kind purchases, all in the relaxing and beautiful surroundings of this long-hidden heritage gem. Two playgrounds for children and surrounding picnic areas create an inviting space for families and shoppers to take time out in between wandering the stalls. Food traders and coffee are also on site.
- The Shire Christmas Market, Miranda, 21-22/11
- Martin Place Christmas Tree, 28/11 – 31/12. The tallest Christmas tree in NSW is decorated with more than 110,000 LED lights, a 3.4-metre colour-changing star and 330 specially created glossy baubles. The tree’s 800 branches are dressed with 15,000 flowers representing 9 different kinds of Australian flowers: banksia, waratah, bottlebrush, wattle, eucalyptus gum flower, kangaroo paw, flannel flower, pink wax flower and white wax flower.
- The Ultimate Christmas Market, The Entertainment Quarter, 29/11. They will be delivering a fantastic village atmosphere with over 150 stalls, live entertainment, kids rides, gourmet hot food and sweet treats for all! Set up your home with flowers, candles, wrapping paper, cards, ornaments and gift baskets. Fill the pantry with sauces, preserves, chocolates, nuts, fruits and vegetables. And if you’re after the perfect gift, then you can browse from a vast range of homewares, jewellery, fashion, kids clothes and toys! All of this is in one place that will feel a million miles from the chaos of the shopping centre.
- Hurstville Mall Christmas Night Markets, 4/12, The Hurstville Christmas markets will feature over 25 stalls in the one location! The Foodies and Farmers Market has made a name for itself with Sydney foodies! With so much good food on offer, you will understand why there is such a hype around this market. Step into foodie heaven with stall holders from all over Sydney specialising in the most delicious cuisines.
- Sydney Christmas Fair, the Entertainment Quarter, Moore Park, 4-6/12 and 11-13/12. A fun family event to spread holiday cheer! Located at the Entertainment Quarter, Moore Park. There will be Photos with Santa, Gingerbread House Party, Rides, Games, Showbags and more!
- The Rocks Christmas Market, 4-24/12
- Aussie Night Markets, 6/12, Brighton-le-Sand, International Street Food Vendors, Dedicated Dessert Section, High-quality Arts n Crafts stalls to browse, Kids rides and entertainment, Music till late and $20 Unlimited Rides Wristband.
- Best & Less Virtual Christmas Carols, 6/12, it’s certainly been a year that’s knocked many of us about. But let’s put all that aside and bring back the joy so many of us love about Christmas – spending time with family. Best&Less is creating a fun Virtual Christmas Carols featuring some of your favourite entertainers. We may not be able to enjoy the Carols in crowds like we have in years past, but we can certainly recreate a fun experience in the comfort of our homes. They’ve even created a songbook and craft pack for you to download and enjoy on the night!
- Mosman Christmas Night Market, 10/12
- Kareela Night Market, 10 and 17/12, with Santa photos, kids activities, a choir and pop up stalls.
- Lights of Christmas, St Mary’s Cathedral, 10-25/12, Sydney’s favourite free Christmas tradition, Lights of Christmas captivates families, locals, and tourists with digital storytelling on St Mary’s Cathedral. This spectacular light and sound show commences projections at 8.30pm and repeats to 11.00pm.
- Santa’s Fun Fair, Rouse Hill, 11 – 26/12. Sydney Santa Spectacular presents the Santa’s Funfair. Rides include Double Decker Carousel, Bungee trampolines, Storm, Pirate Ship, Snow TeaCup, Mini Chairs and Turbo Toboggan. Plus Sideshow Games.
- Coogee Beach Christmas Markets, 12/12, Looking for a unique gift to put under the tree then come to the Coogee Beach Club Xmas Markets! Unique stocking stuffers, bespoke handicrafts and beautiful Christmas treats – all from 25 handpicked local suppliers. A great family day with a percentage of proceeds going to Youth Off The Streets. The Beach Club will be open for breakfast from 8.30am with food and drinks available all day. The markets will be open from 9am -2pm.
- Christmas in the Gardens, Auburn, 12/12, Christmas in the Gardens is an event not to be missed with Christmas Carols, a free twilight cinema (Trolls movie), and delicious food.
- Catch the Christmas Train, Albion Park, 13/12, catch The Christmas Train and have a Steam Train Ride and then ride The Mini Elf Express. Santa will join us and ride the trains. Steam & Miniature Train Rides from 10am to 2pm, food sales and picnic grounds.
- Penrith Christmas Market, 19/12, The famous Glenmore Park Christmas market is moving to the Penrith Paceway. The popular Christmas market in the area is back for the 7th year in a row. Come along and enjoy a truly fun market that includes retail stalls, food trucks and stalls, rides and amusements and Christmas Cheer!
- Watsons Bay Christmas Market, 20/12, The market will comprise up to 120 quality stalls selling everything from high-end women’s fashion, menswear and children’s clothes, to toys, gifts, homewares, fine art, ceramics, jewellery, pet accessories, leathergoods and more. Additionally, there will be 12 gourmet vendors offering a wonderful range of prepared foods, from cakes to pho and burgers. Don’t miss the Watsons Bay Boutique Hotel famous paella, tacos and dessert station with our gelato cart too!
- Carols by Candlelight, Penshurst, 21/12, BYO Chair, Candle & Mask (12 years+).
- Carriageworks Twilight Market, Redfern, 23/12, Carriageworks will be holding a special Twilight Farmers Market, just two days before Christmas on Wed 23 Dec. The market will feature a curated line-up of over 70 NSW growers, farmers and artisans, providing the freshest seasonal produce, meats, seafood, cheeses, preserves, confectionery, baked goodies and festive tipples. Due to a strict capacity, registration for this event is essential.
- Carols in the Domain, ICC, 23/12, there are no tickets available for sale this year, but stay tuned to their socials for opportunity to attend. They encourage everyone to watch at home.
Don’t forget to check our comprehensive Santa Photos list too.
I will add to this list, as I find new events. Please do let me know if you are hosting any festive events, or hear of any. Please also ensure you check each event before attending, for any cancellations, postponements, and covid restrictions.